Friday, April 18, 2014

End of season + Recipes

So I'm in my end of season 2 week break. It's boring but doing the body good. Thankfully, the weather flipped a switch from summer to winter here in Wanaka so it's been easy to cuddle up, bake, cook, watch Game of Thrones and take numerous walks with my dog.

I'm looking forward to training through the winter as my target for the next few months (and next 2 years actually) will be 70.3 racing or shorter. Specifically, my winter target will be the Timberman 70.3 August 17. I'll be traveling back to Canada for my sister's birthday and this race fit perfectly in that it was close-ish to home, and a week before her big day. I'll go nuts on race day, and then feast for a week, reveling in my sister's marriage and how we're all growed up big kids now.

Until then, here are some amazing recipes I've been digging on lately:
- DIY Energy Bars by the Wassner Twins
- Spinach-Feta Quinoa Cakes
- Banana Bread Protein Bars by OhSheGlows
- Salmon with Quinoa and Tomato Salsa, except I make the salmon like this: sweet and salty glazed salmon, which is really just salmon in the oven, with soy sauce drizzled on, then sprinkles of raw sugar on top. Bake until done. Yum.

And lastly... here's my staple breakfast recipe. Variations abound, but this is what I've got down to an (in)exact science.

Classic Yummy Oatmeal

~1 cup soymilk - even though I drink all kinds of milk, soymilk makes rolled oats taste the creamiest!
~1/3 cup rolled oats
pinch of salt
additions:
1 banana
~ 1 T ground LSA
handful raisins
raw sugar

1. In a small pot on med-high, heat the soymilk, rolled oats and pinch of salt. Cook to your liking (I like my rolled oats really liquidy, others enjoy theirs quite dense).
2. As the rolled oats are cooking, chop the banana into your breakfast bowl. Add in ~1 tablespoon ground LSA (linseed, sunflower seed, almond meal all ground up), a handful of raisins and a sprinkling of raw sugar.
3. Once the oats are done to your liking, pour them into your breakfast bowl. Remember that the oats will continue to absorb moisture even once they are off the heat, so be aware not to dry them out too much.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment