Thursday, February 2, 2012

Easing back into training...

In December and early January, I got bombed by anemia, and then had a bike crash... so the last month has been less about training and more about resting and healing up.

The road rash is nearly healed although, oddly enough, incredibly itchy. I'm dying to just scratch at it, although of course that is definitely NOT the best thing to do right now.

The anemia is... well, we're still figuring things out. My ferritin levels were very low (27 ng/ml) prior to my hormones freaking out and having a period for 2.5 weeks straight, and then now another 9+ days. I just went in for more blood tests to determine how much my ferritin levels have dropped since then, what my haemoglobin status is, and other blood tests and swabs to figure out why the hell I am losing so much blood.

I am back into training, which is capped at 1.5 hours a day, pretty much zero intensity. It's all about maintaining an aerobic base until we figure out what's going on. The only bright side to this mess is that it has forced me to deal with my iron levels. I've always had low ferritin stores. They were borderline passable for a regular person. And I think I rode on those stores for the last 2-3 years as an athlete, slowly dwindling their counts. Now, I've been put in a hole that I have to actively dig myself out of. The real bright side is that, once I do figure out what's going wrong, I will know what to do to bring the iron levels back up, and higher, so I'll probably be a bit of a beast of an athlete. (You can read more about iron for endurance athletes here, a well-written and simple to understand article by TrainingPeaks)

If I can pull off what I did last season (nothing remarkable in the scheme of things, but an awesome racing season for a chick that's only been doing this 2 years), then I can't wait to see what I can do in the next year onwards as a healthy, haemoglobin-rich, blood-pumping triathlete! (Too much?)

As they say, onwards and upwards, eh?

Oh, and here's a random shot of Lake Wanaka and its mountains from Mt Iron:

No comments:

Post a Comment