Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tattoo #2

After Challenge Wanaka, I still wasn't fully healed from the crash and had already planned to take a week off post-race. The boy and I headed up to Nelson to meet up with a particularly gifted tattooist so that he could add to one of his tattoos and so that I could get my second tattoo. I had been thinking of getting another tattoo for the last year or so, but I was never confident in my ideas, and by the time I was, several attempts to get in touch, plan, and sketch my ideas with tattooists didn't pan out. I wasn't stressed, it would happen when it would happen. And I stumbled upon the most perfect person to do it; someone whose work I greatly admire. 


So this isn't the best picture, but it is an inner forearm tattoo that combines three different places in Wanaka:

The submerged tree in Lake Wanaka, but with its leaves. 

The poplars on one side of the lake
Black Peak as the mountain in the center of the tattoo.


Other mountains that can be viewed from Wanaka on either
side. 
In the end, obviously the tattoo is not a strictly accurate representation of Wanaka from any one viewpoint, but it definitely encapsulates my love of the place. It feels like it has belonged on my arm forever, it "fits". 

1 comment:

  1. I know I said it already but I totally love it!
    :)
    it's perfect

    ReplyDelete