Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 Year in Review, in pictures of course

2011, oh it's been an interesting one...

January:
Already deeply in love with New Zealand, I completed my first iron-distance triathlon: Challenge Wanaka, in gale-force winds no less. Most memorable day of my life thus far.
 

February:
Not much on the training front, the season was over, my stint in New Zealand was over. I moved back to Melbourne and returned to university.

March:
Back to training, taking every weekend as an opportunity to explore the Australian state of Victoria, swim/bike/run style:

April: 
Skipped a couple weeks school, returned to New Zealand if only for a brief 18 days. Fell in love all over again. Ran my heart out. 

May:
Winter creeps into Melbourne, training is best with friends. 
Yes our bikes ARE getting hailed on...
June:
Raced the Cairns half-iron triathlon. Relished the warmth of tropical north Queensland. Was afraid I would die at any moment (stingrays, crocodiles, poisonous spiders, venomous snakes, the list goes on).

July:
Traveled throughout the United States, lived out of my car, camped, house-sat, couchsurfed my way through much of Colorado. Capped that off with Calgary 70.3 and my slot to 70.3 World Champs. 

Bike touring set up. Not mine, but fellow couchsurfers in
Estes Park. 
August:
Boulder 70.3, more Colorado exploring, crewing for Leadville Trail 100, racing Ironman Louisville, fucking loooooooving life.

IMKY
September:
The drive across America to Vegas, 70.3 World Champs, the drive across America back home. States visited, including but not limited to: Colorado, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, Virginia, Michigan, Nevada, Utah, Missouri, New Jersey, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire and so on. 


October... November... December...:

After deciding to finish the remaining few credits of my bachelors as 2-3 week field courses over the next 2 or so years, I withdrew from the semester and flew back to beautiful Wanaka, New Zealand. Made myself a home yet again in the most perfect place in the world. Now that I knew I was staying in one place for an extended period of time, I let myself make close friends, found training partners and groups, fell in love, explored the Wanaka area even more... Raced a bit. Mainly trained. Worked. Began internship with Challenge Wanaka racing company. Life grew in awesomeness. Summer arrived. 
The year began in Wanaka, it ended in Wanaka. I can only hope that the decade will end with me having made my home and my family here. I can only hope that these become my permanent training grounds, because no place is better to become the best athlete you can be.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you all the best for the new year Tyna :)
    You have certainly already accomplished so much and really made your dreams come true.
    You're an inspiration to me!
    I'm so happy for you and what you have found, the only drawback is that one of my best friends is so far away! I miss you, but I want you to make 2012 even more super fucking awesome ;)
    ROCK ON.

    ReplyDelete