Thursday, October 6, 2011

Back to New Zealand!!!

So, rather than drudge through Montreal for another couple of months, I've decided to return to New Zealand. I've got my one year working holiday visa, my bags are starting to fill up, my game face is on... I AM PUMPED! Back to Wanaka, only the BEST PLACE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!

I'll very quickly state that I first went to New Zealand last November for 3 months, the summer break between two semesters abroad studying in Melbourne, Australia. I fell in love with this country far more than I have ever fallen in love with anything, or anyone, prior. It's my HOME, and now I just have to figure out how to legally make it my home -- i.e. how do I get New Zealand residency! I returned for a brief while in April-May, but could not stay for long. Now, however, I have the opportunity to live and work there for a good while, with the intention of finding an employer (ideally in the sports environment, such as a race company) that will sponsor me to stay on board past that one year. That, and in the next two to four years I intend on working my ASS off to get my professional license in triathlon and right from the bat intend on racing for New Zealand. It would be the greatest honor for me to race for a country that I've fallen batshit in love with. Oh, I know I still have very far to progress to get to professional status, but I'm stating it here and now -- I'm going to get it, I'm going to work incredibly hard to get it, and I'll do it all with the intention of making that country very proud.

So, I'll finish up the last few dregs of my bachelors by completing field courses throughout the next year and a half; there are just a few credits remaining.

Here's what my racing schedule looks like for the New Zealand summer, a short break, and then the North American summer. New Zealand racing is top notch, and the South Island especially has some amazing, off-road crazy events that I cannot wait to jump head first into.

New Zealand:


Nov 5: Southern Lakes Tour de Femme 70k cycle race 
This race starts just outside Wanaka, rides up to the top of the Crown Range Rd (gnarly climb!) and then rips back around to return to the start. 
Nov 26: Big Day at the Office (40km road bike, 24km trail run)
Weird duathlon, with a positively mountainous run up Mt Sommers.
Dec 3: Point 3 multisport event (900m sprint run - 40k cycle - 11.5km trail run - 1.9km swim - 16km MTB - 100m sprint finish)
Right in Wanaka, this race looks ridiculous, fun, and BAD ASS!!!!
Jan 11: Milford Mountain Classic (120km road cycle event)
On the Milford Sound Rd, how could you NOT with spectacular views like that!!!
Jan 21: Challenge Wanaka half-iron (1.9k swim, 90k bike, 21.1k trail run)
Challenge Wanaka was my first full iron-distance. Wanaka is the home I fell in love with. Although I won't be doing the full this year (I've got another full later on in the year), I cannot WAIT for this race. This is my A race in New Zealand and I am ecstatic to be a part of this amazing event yet again. The most beautiful course on the planet, no question. 
Feb 18: Paradise Off-road triathlon (500m swim - 18k MTB - 6k trail run)
In Paradise, NZ. Yes, it does look like paradise, I can't wait to return to horse country!!
Mar 10: XTERRA Motatapu half-iron triathlon (2k swim - 47k MTB - 15k mtn run)
If I pick up mountain biking quickly enough, I NEED to do this event. In Wanaka again, I think this will soon become the crown jewel of off-road racing on the South Island. It's inaugural race was last year and I was crushed to have missed it. 
Mar 24: Auckland half-iron triathlon (1.9k swim, 90k bike, 21.1k run)
If it turns out I'm an embarrassing mountain biker, then I'll opt to race the Auckland half-iron on-road triathlon. It requires travel to the North Island, but if I'm at a fitness level such that I can possibly place top 5 OA female, then I'll go for it. 
April 6: Lake Hayes Easter triathlon (750m swim, 20k road cycle, 5k trail run)
I've done this race course in 2010, it's a friggin' BLAST. Ours was in the pouring rain and I'm pretty surprised that no one slipped and slid into the lake while running on the lakeside trails. I was drenched!! 


North America:


June 10: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman, Maryland
I'm gunning for my first sub-5h race here. 
June 24: Ironman 70.3 Lubbock Springs, Texas
August 5: Ironman 70.3 Boulder, Colorado
Love this 70.3 course; I wish more 70.3's had off-road runs. I hate road running. 
August 26: IRONMAN CANADA, BITCHES!!!!!!!
Sept 9: Vegas, again?
Oct: Kona???

If you haven't noticed, I like racing a lot... the North American stuff is "serious business", the New Zealand stuff is mainly training races and being AWESOME. Wanaka, get ready!!!!

View of Lake Wanaka from mid-way up the Mt Roy track

Wanaka, with views of the islands Mou Waho and Mou Tapu.


Epic sunset night

Sheeeeeeep


Rainbow over Lake Wanaka and Ruby Island

View from the top of Mt Iron

Right at the beach, I don't know how many hours I spent
chilling out here. 

On the lake, swimming, kayaking etc...
Glass-like conditions! Awesome!!

Fall in Wanaka

Ruby Island, awesome place to swim to!

And.... I'm super excited!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god girl! You're just so so lucky to be doing what you love in a place that you love!
    so glad for you that you get to go back
    have an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it, I absolutely cannot wait to go back! This place is my home, I can't wait to flop on the ground and kiss it!

    ReplyDelete