Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pikes Peak and COUNTRY MUSIC BABY

So, given my shin splint tenderness, one of the things my coach has me doing is running less (duh), and hiking more. I'm not worried about IM Louisville's run. It's flat, which suits me, it'll be hot as fuck (which doesn't suit me... but suits everyone else LESS because I'm skinny and can dissipate heat awesomely!), and it's not like I need huge amounts of top end speed. Top end speed? I don't even know what that is at this point.

Anyway, on one of our hiking adventures, my coach, his wife and I hiked up The Incline starting in Manitou Springs (a 1 mile set of stairs that is at like a 40% grade?), then hiked to the top of Pikes Peak, where I got nauseous from the altitude, then hiked back down. Once back at Barr Camp (with ~10k to go), I realized it would take another 2 hours to hike down, so I was like FUCK THIS, it's downhill, LET'S RUN!!!! So we ran the last 5miles back into Manitou Springs and ate a shit load of awesome vegetables and REAL FOOD. I love sugar during training but damn, I was craving proper, nutritious food. Oddly enough, all the regular training/energy products I use (Powerbar, Gu, Clif etc) were not doing me any favors in the high altitude stuff -- from 10,000 to 14,110ft. However, I thankfully encountered some dude also struggling and he had the common sense to bring AWESOME SUGARS like Skittles and M&Ms. He gave me a bunch of bags of candy and I had a skittle or two as I hiked, just to keep myself distracted from the vomitey feeling I had going on. He was a total life saver (thanks Taylor, you're the best!!!)

So, why did I spend 10-12 hours hiking after a big week of training? I don't think my leg (left leg, shin splints) could handle the long 2.5-3hr runs in training, and I do need SOME practice being on my feet for a fuck load of time... thus the hiking. Also... pretty pictures, because that's why you're here:

Early morning start...

The Incline! Sweating profusely at 6am.

There was a race going on from Manitou Springs to Barr
Camp -- so cool to have a distraction and to see runners of
all levels running up and down the mountain. 


I was feeling pretty nauseous at this point (12,000ft). 


The hike itself is easy. The altitude is not! I'd
only been at 7000ft (CO Springs) for 2 weeks.
By 10,000 ft or so, I was starting to move
verrrrry slowly. Rough. The expression says
it all.  

At the top, yay! My first 14er (14,110ft)

Above the treeline. 
Oh, and I've developed this penchant for country music -- Americans and Western Canadians have awesome country stations!!! Some current tunes, a playlist:
  1. George Strait - Here For A Good Time
  2. Alan Jackson - Small Town Southern Man
  3. Chris Young - Tomorrow
  4. Tim McGraw & Gwyneth Paltrow - Me and Tennessee
  5. Jake Owen - Barefoot Blue Jean Night
  6. Kenny Chesney ft Grace Potter - You and Tequila
  7. Taylor Swift - Sparks Fly
  8. Lady Antebellum - Just a Kiss
  9. Tim McGraw ft Faith Hill - It's Your Love
  10. Zac Brown Band ft Jimmy Buffett - Knee Deep
  11. Garrett Hedlund - Chances Are
  12. Carrie Underwood - Cowboy Casanova
  13. Dave Barnes - God Gave Me You
  14. Luke Bryan - Country Girl (Shake It For Me)
  15. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big
That's all folks, racing Calgary 70.3 in 2 days, can't WAIT!!!!! Super stoked about this race! Really relaxed about it, too.

1 comment:

  1. You rock girl!
    I like some country music, though I prefer folksy stuff better. Or like old-school country, like good ole' hillbilly banjo stuff. But I'm not sure if that's country or not?
    That looks like so much fun though!!! Wheee!
    I did my first hike in Arizona. Though it was a measly one compared to that. My guide and I biked 5km (I rode a freaking bikeeeee!) and then we hiked the trail to the top. Took us about 2.5 hours there and back. so much funnnnn and so beautiful.
    Tomorrow morning I'm gonna try getting up super duper early to bike a bit... trying to get used to it. I'm working 70 hours this week so gotta get up early to fit it all in.
    Wish I was back in Arizona man.
    I hope the race went well!!!! I'm sure it did though.
    can't wait to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete